Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yeasu VX-7R
Recently, I picked up a nearly new in the box, slightly used Yaesu VX-7R HT. This would be my second HT I have owned since becoming a ham. My first HT which I still have is the Kenwood TH-F6A. Aside from all the neat bells and whistles the VX-7R has, I found that this HT seems to pick up alot of intermod and other unwanted noise when using a Larson dual band mag mount antenna on the top of my company truck. On the memory scan mode, it will stop on a 2m ham frequency and I distictively hear Marion County Sheriff's Department which operates on 154.740MHz come blasting though. It also picks up a paging service which operates in the 152MHz range.

My TH-F6A does not seem to have the problem the VX-7R does. When it's on memory scan, it's nice and quiet until it receives a signal from a repeater. This is also while using the same dual band antenna on my company truck.

Even though it doesn't have all those bells and whistles, I find myself using my TH-F6A way more and listening to the crap the VX-7R picks up is just plain irritating.

I guess what it boils down to, is that the VX-7R seems to work ok using its own duck antenna, but the use of an external antenna just worsens its intermod problem.
I'll have to admit that I'm a little disapointed in Yaesu's design of this particular HT and thought it would be better than what it is. I don't think I'll ever buy another one. Sad
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Kenwood TS-2000, Yaesu FTM-400, Alinco DR-235
Mobiles: 3 Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders in each rig, 1 Alinco DR-235
HT's: Kenwood TH-F6A, Yaesu VX-7R, Yaesu FT1XD.

I also have a VX7 and it has done very well for me! That being said I do belive that your kenwood is probly the better Handy squeaky!
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
I guess it just depends on where and how often a guy uses any HT. Since I can't permanently mount a mobile rig in my company truck, the next best thing is an HT hooked up to a mag mount antenna (fortunately the boss has never said a word about it and mounting a radio in my truck might be pushing it). I use my HT in this application alot, almost everyday in the Salem/Portland area. If this was a once in awhile type deal then I probably wouldn't sweat it. But in this case the noise from the VX7 is enough to drive me nuts.
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Steve, you said your's, while close to new, was still used. We can't escape the possibility there may have been a defect in it's filtering, front end, etc. Almighty YAESU certainly isn't immune to defective equipment. My FT-8800 was defective and I bought it brand new. Took a few months to find it and realize it needed to go in. A month after I bought it, every once in a blue moon, it wouldn't Tx. S-meter went up, other side muted, but nothing coming out. As time went on, over a couple more months, it became more and more until it was almost every other Tx. Sent to Yaesu and it had a burnt trace on the finals, maybe due to cold solder joint, I dunno. But it was in my house, never mounted in a vehicle and never saw an SWR above 1.0:1 on 2M or 1.4:1 on 440.

Most people who have that radio like them. Of course, there's always the Yaesu haters but you know.......LOL!! They usually hate all Yaesus. Just a thought, maybe defective.

Could be one of a few things. Our world is a mystic one!!!!!
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
Yes Jeff, that thought of being defective did cross my mind. I even thought that maybe the guy that owned it before me might have dropped or something. He of course, didn't say. He only said it was "too much radio" for him and being a new ham he preferred his simple dual bander instead. I didn't find any dents or blemishes on the case that indicated a drop so who knows. I suppose the only real way to know is to compare my VX7 with another.
73's
Steve
W7RMG