Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you Bill and Sean
I have a new 50' telescoping mast erected with my new Alpha Delta DX-LB Plus multi band antenna. These guys came and just did it. To say, I couldn't have done it without either, would be a GROSS understatment. I am so indebted.

Thank you.
Ted - KW7RTM
All Around Nice Guy
Ted,

I'm glad you three were able to get together and tackle a project. What's more, I'm glad you got it done and there (hopefully) weren't any major casualties. :^)

This is one of the very best things to come out of amateur radio and the clubs and get-togethers we have. We make some friends, we get some help, we can help others, and we all learn something new from time to time.

Huzzah!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
It is nice to be appreciated Ted, but it was a lot of fun for me! I am sure that Bill feels the same. I appreciate Bill making time and keeping us both out of trouble!

Looking forward to more antenna days for the club in the future!

Sean
It was a lot of fun. Sorry I had to bail before the antenna was strung. How did that go? Any glitches?
We followed through with your guidance and the antenna went up fine. The only reservation is that one of the fan dipoles is twisted over the one above it.
When we turned on the radio there was an extreme amount of noise, twenty over nine db. We tried to use my radio this morning to eliminate variables but so far we don't have a clear single cause. I am going to take Mike W7RIS up on bringing his analyzer over to test the feed-line and antenna.
All part of the adventure but I feel bad for Ted who has invested a good deal of $, time and effort and has not had a good clear signal yet.
Alas I may have a handle on the noise. Went up to the ham shack in the loft to rehook up the HF rig durning the Tuesday swap net. Setting the HT on top of the shack's cabinat. I turned on the the main power switch that turns on the cute little LED lights I worked so hard to install and the the HT ceased to RX. Turned the switch off the net returned. Turned on, all quite. Turn off, all on. Unplugged the wall wart for the cute LED lights and Viola! 80 meters is still noisy but as I selected up the bands things got quieter and quieter. And I could hear signals. Not sure I'm all the way there but I am closer.
Ted - KW7RTM
All Around Nice Guy
Wow, there you go! That's a very good bit of troubleshooting, Ted!

I've experienced the same thing in my shack with various bits of electronics. Walking around with my HT and watching the received signal strength meter has helped me find a number of devices that were putting a lot of interference into my radios. So far, I've found: a cheap florescent light bulb, a wall wart, a cheap little radio alarm clock, a very noisy network switch (For computer networking), and a beat-up old piece of CAT-5 (Not even 5e) network cable that was home made by an ex-renter and was VERY out of specification. All of these have caused me some problems - it is amazing how much quieter unused frequencies are now!

Keep up the sleuthing and I'm sure you'll contiue to find little things here and there to help out.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Wow Ted Im glad you are on your way to finding the problem. I was going to loan you a book that I have on hunting down interference.
KC7NHT
Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
EPC member #14448
PRA Board Member