Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phone Numbers and Email
I was just sitting here kind of late, gettin' ready to go to bed. I was just perusing the swapnet forum. I just thought I might throw this out there as sort of a friendly, do what you want with it, kind of suggestion.

I know most of this should really be just common sense and those that choose to do so, may be completely aware of the risks. But some may not. In fact, with all due respect, there are still those who really have no idea how the Internet works. I know it's already asked of each person listing something if they want their email address or phone number published on the forum, but I wonder how many really know how easily it is for trolls and bots and fisching scams to find them.

If you've ever looked at any of the classified ads on CraigsList, you'll notice probably at least 90% of them do not have actual phone numbers. They are usually displayed something like....."five four 1, one TWO three. four FIVE 6 seven" for 541-123-4567. Most people don't realize that these malicious trolling programs are designed to search for 7, 10 and 11 digit number sequences in the most usual forms. IE: (xxx)xxx-xxx, xxx-xxx-xxxx, xxx.xxx.xxxx, etc.
Fortunately, C.L. already gives people the option to mask or hide their email address already but even that has it's flaws. Once a scam artist emails you the first time using the camouflaged address, if it looks legit enough and you reply, they have your real address. Unfortunately, this is how many of those scam artists get what they want. I've caught and circumvented the malicious intentions of more than I can count when I was running 2 business on C.L. I've also had to abandon or close down age old emails I had forever because I accidentally put my address in ONE wrong place and within only a few days, it got to the point where I was getting new spam email every 10 seconds! And those web sites you see that say they don't sell or trade your email address? Don't buy it! It's crap! Of course they do! ALWAYS use a "phantom" address!!

I'm not trying to scare anyone or saying everyone should come running to the forum and swamp the Admin with PMs and emails screaming to get their info off the forum, I just want everyone aware of the risks that ARE out there and ARE very real. Feel free to continue putting your numbers and email addresses on the forum if you understand the risks and choose to do so. That is entirely everyone's own right. I'm just saying, be careful and understand the risks of putting phone numbers AND email address OR any personal information on an open forum, even one with the best of intentions, like ours! I believe there should be some sort of disclaimer in place. I cannot stress enough how important Internet safety really is!!

You want my honest OPINION??? Honestly, I wouldn't put my phone number or email address on here or ANYWHERE ever! But, as I said, that's just my opinion. I choose to be that careful and that's me. And I've avoided certain circumstances because of it. YMMV!

I'd put my phone number out over the air long before I'd ever put it on any open web site, and I won't even do that. In fact, the only thing I DO put out over the air is my email and I tentatively cringe a little when I do that. LOL!
Just BE CAREFUL!

Thank you for indulging my caring and cautious compassion. Smile
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
Jeff getting on the internet is a risk in its self!

Also once agin If they do not want the information posted Which John and I usally ask, they do not have to have it posted and they can have the traffic routed through Vaghn. I would hope that everybody knows the dangers and vounerabilatys of being on line.
KC7NHT
Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
EPC member #14448
PRA Board Member
kc7nht Wrote:I would hope that everybody knows the dangers and vounerabilatys of being on line.

Oh make no mistake, I would, too! But one thing I've found as a computer tech is when it comes to computers and Internet, people come from all facets of life and all levels of experience/knowledge with computers and I guarantee you there are people who don't. I'm not being disrespectful to anyone, but when I first started, I LITERALLY had people hire me who I thought were pretty up'n'up on computers and Internet and then they'd turn and looked at me and go...."so, how do you turn it on?" o.0

The truth is, you never know who knows what. You try to be sensitive to the ones who no nothing and not seem disrespectful to the ones who know more. But you always cover all bases. Same thing in any topic, really. Cheers!!
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
Ya know your right I do forget sometimes I have been using and playing with computers since the days they were housed in giant basments and the user interface was a teletype and you saved every thing on punch tape or cards YE Haw.
KC7NHT
Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
EPC member #14448
PRA Board Member