Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Tom Grange - Field Day Site Pics
Howdy all,

I didn't take as many pictures of the Grange site as I'd have liked to, but I got a few.

I'll see about getting a map of the site up here as well.

I'll attach a few pictures to each post and explain them there.

If anyone else took some (Sean?), go ahead and post them here!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521[/ATTACH]

You can find a higher-quality Google Earth map (KML file) HERE (Right-click, Save As, then double-click it to launch it. You MUST have Google Earth installed!):

This is the site plan for the Grange.

1 - Tower Site 1, KF7NAY
2 - Tower Site 2, W0ULF
3 - Tower Site 3, KA7HBB

W - Welcome Tent - this is where the "Public Relations" area will be, including information on the Peak Radio Association, Amateur Radio, and Field Day

P - Parking Area - Parking for guests and vehicles not being used for Field Day operations

S - Sleeping Area - Site for tents and other sleeping / living arrangements during Field Day

T - Toilets - The Long Tom Grange Hall has a separate entrance for access to the bathrooms, found on the far West end of the building.

Currently, KF7NAY has offered to bring an A3S tri-band beam antenna for tower site 1 (With his tower) and W7RIS is bringing a Mosley TA-33-M for KA7HBB's tower (Site 3). W0ULF's tower currently does not have any HF beam antennas slated for it, though there might be a 2m beam and 6m 1/4 wave vertical on it.

Locations for wire antennas have not been decided upon. KF7NAY has outfitted his tower with a cross-boom with two pulleys on it, suitable for hoisting wire antennas if desired. W0ULF has also considered doing this, but hasn't committed to having it done in time for Field Day yet.

Operating stations will be set up as close to the tower sites as possible, to make the most of the minimal amount of available feed line.

All locations are FLEXIBLE. Nothing is set in stone and we can always change plans as we go. This is for preliminary planing only.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Lower field location - KF7NAY's tower will be here.

Sadly, I didn't take any pictures from this location. If anyone else has some, please post them here!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
This is where the second tower will be located - W0ULF's truck-mounted portable tower.

I also did not take any pictures from this spot. I know - epic failure on my part!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
This little clearing is where HBB's 50' aluminum two-piece crank-up tower will be located (Approximately 400' above sea level). To the WNW will be the sleeping area (Tents and the like).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514[/ATTACH]
Photo 1 (3368) is the view of the Grange Hall from the center of the clearing (Looking NW). The Halll sits on the highest part of the sloping property - 406'.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515[/ATTACH]
Photo 2 (3369) is also from the center of the clearing. Looking NNW at the far East side of the Grange Hall

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517[/ATTACH]
Photo 3 (3375) is looking SE at the entrance driveway and at the lowest spot on the property (385')

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518[/ATTACH]
Photo 4 (3378) looks to the SW at the site of KF7NAY's tower. His tower will be approximately in the center of the frame near the tree in the distance

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516[/ATTACH]
Photo 5 (3379) looks to the West at the site of W0ULF's truck-tower, which will be parked in front of the Grange Hall. The tower will likely be slightly to the right of the center of the frame in the gravel driveway
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Here are some misc. other photos I took that might help people get a feel for the site.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519[/ATTACH]
Photo 1 (3386) is taken from the driveway where it enters the site (SE corner). It looks to the NNW, with the road to the sleeping area on the right side of the frame and the side of KA7HBB's tower in the center-left portion (In front of and above the hood of the green Honda at center)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520[/ATTACH]
Photo 2 (3392) is also taken from the entrance to the site, and looks to the NW. The Grange Hall is just left of center through the thick stand of trees, KA7HBB's tower location is the clearing on the far right, and KF7NAY's tower will be in the field on the far left of the image. W0ULF's tower will be slightly to the right of center, also behind the stand of trees.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Good job as usual Vaughn! I took a few snaps but nothing that would add any more informantion. I am working on how to get them posted to this thread. Do I upload them to my profile?
Very nice!!! Good job guys!!

!!Later Stacey!!
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
Very well thought out, and very informative!

!!Later Stacey!!
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
Sean KF7NAY Wrote:Good job as usual Vaughn! I took a few snaps but nothing that would add any more informantion. I am working on how to get them posted to this thread. Do I upload them to my profile?

Howdy Sean,

I go to "Advanced Mode" when replying to a thread, and then click "Manage Attachments" at the bottom to bring up the "Manage Attachments" window. There, you click "Add Files" in the upper-right corner of the screen to bring up the "Upload Files" window. Then you click "Select Files" and browse to, then select your files. When you select your files, it will bring you back to the "Upload Files" window. Click "Upload Files" to actually send them up to the server.

When it is done uploading the files, you will still have the "Manage Attachments" window open, and your new files will be listed in the top half of the window and also listed at the bottom in the "Attachments" area. From here, all you have to do is click "Insert Inline" at the bottom-right corner of the window. You should now have some BB code in your message that looks like "ATTACH=CONFIG 531 /ATTACH" (In brackets instead of quotes, etc.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531[/ATTACH]
(A friend of my little brother doesn't like trailers, so he bought a Deuce and a Half to move his Bronco around - demo image!)

Here, you can cut and paste the code to move the images around in your post.

I hope this helps!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007