Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KF7LDG D-STAR Repeater Now Available
Thanks to my intrepid tower crew and Ted for the use of his climbing harness, I have the KF7LDG D-STAR Repeater back on the air for now. Since the tower isn't very tall and its sitting on the valley floor, the coverage is not much more than Corvallis. In my drive to Albany yesterday, coverage started to flake out around downtown Albany. YMMV. Folks that have D-STAR radios around the Corvallis area are welcome to use the facilities. Please note that the repeater is really "experimental" right now and will need some tweaks before it's completely ready to go.

Here are the required parameters to use the repeater:

Frequency: 434.910
Offset: +5MHz
Tone: D-STAR does not use tone
MY: <Your Callsign>
UR: CQCQCQ
RPT1: KF7LDG B
RPT2: KF7LDG G

The hardware is:

RF Deck: Tait T800 Series 1
Power Out: 50W
Antennas: Transmit: Telewave ANT450D6-9 Receive: Telewave ANT450D3
Controller: Intel Core i3 on CentOS Linux with 64Gb SSD. G4ULF D-STAR Repeater and Gateway Software.
Awesome! I can't wait to try it out.
Aaahhhhhh CRAP!!
Ur gonna make me have to go look at Icom gear, now.....huh???!!!!

(That'd be a nice little test from Monroe!)
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
Hey Jeremy, what's the status on this thing? Sometimes I can hear it here in NE Albany, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I can hit it with 50 watts, sometimes I can't hit it at all.

I notice the KF7LDG blogspot hasn't been updated since 2010. Where can I go to get updates on the status of it?

Also, do you have any intention of taking this from a "test" repeater to a "production" repeater? I don't see it listed on repeaterbook.com .

Maybe I'll bug you about it tomorrow night at the meeting.

Which reminds me, I better get the projector and Sean's spiral notebook from Field Day back to him...
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
The repeater is down right now for some "remodeling." I'm putting a better GMSK node adapter board and configuring it to run on a Raspberry Pi instead of a full Intel machine. I have things mostly ready to go back in the rack. I received the last piece for the project yesterday, a T/R switch for the digipeater side of things, and I'll be configuring it up soon here. I expect that by Friday it'll be back running and ready to try out. There may be some days of fine tuning to see if things work okay.

If folks are interested, there are pictures of the box as it's being constructed on my Ham Radio Photostream at https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2JtdOXmGiiYFj

I don't think this box will ever be more than an experimental repeater. Its location is way too low in the valley to get good coverage. It's not on a mountaintop or anything, so there is no height advantage. It has good antennas, but that doesn't mitigate all of the issues with being low. The major problem, especially when you're around buildings, is that D-STAR really hates multipath. Since the antennas are low, and if you get in where there's a lot of buildings, you'll start to see dropouts on the datastream.

I have a project on my plate to get a D-STAR box to cover the south valley (Eugene/Corvallis/Albany). I don't have any news to report as of yet, but when I do, I'll let folks know.
The repeater is online right now, but I still have some work to do on it to get things stabilized. It's in the rack and all put together, though, and it will respond to radios and such.
Just checking in - what's the current status here, Jeremy?

I heard there are some people who will be at the meeting tomorrow night who'd like to play with it if it is up.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
The CF card on the RPi was flakey so I reloaded the OS and all of the pieces. I'm using some more standard packages for the repeater software and ircDDB gateway now, so I'm hoping it should be more stable. I had a quick QSO with a ham in Florida on the system today and it's seeming fairly stable. Folks are welcome to try it out. Accessing it on RF is using the same parameters as on the original post.
Hey! It works - I'm listening to a net on the repeater from Albany right now.

Thanks, Jeremy! Now I'll have to put up the 70cm Yagi to see if I can actually get into it better than I do now.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
It is linked to REF10C by default. Feel free to link to other reflectors if you wish.