Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inverted V 80 through 10
Hi, decided to build the inverted V using the 24 gauge coated stranded wire using 300 ohm feed line from a tuner (MFJ-949 I think, not here yet-borrowed)
Should I twist up the feed line like they used to do for TV or not, and a random length or one that isn't resonate that doesn't touch the ground. This a cheap way to go. I have a very old glass insulater to use at the feed point and should I stand the feed point away from the metal mast (up 40 feet). This will be under my GP-9 at the top of the mast.
Thanks for the help.
Gary KC7EGF
I have had in the back of my mind an idea of doing something similar. Sorry I don't have a direct answer for you, only some other info. I found this article very interesting http://www.w1mv.org/ladder.htm. Also be aware that the 949 is not a balanced tuner, it simple has a built in 4:1 balun. Check the MFJ 949 manual it has some good info in it. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/support.ph...d=MFJ-949E

Let us know how your antenna turns out.
AE7PA Barry -/|\- TH-F6A / FT-757GXII
The MFJ 949 will tune a balanced line,just follow the manual.It has a built in 4:1 balun.
-george
N7LOH
radioactive since 1990
I even glow in the dark
I'm not too sure how broadbanded your antenna will be with 24 gauge,and I doubt if would handle full legal power.If you use 14,or better still 12 gauge insulated,it will be more broadbanded and handle legal limit,(provided everything else would too).
-george

KC7EGF Wrote:Hi, decided to build the inverted V using the 24 gauge coated stranded wire using 300 ohm feed line from a tuner (MFJ-949 I think, not here yet-borrowed)
Should I twist up the feed line like they used to do for TV or not, and a random length or one that isn't resonate that doesn't touch the ground. This a cheap way to go. I have a very old glass insulater to use at the feed point and should I stand the feed point away from the metal mast (up 40 feet). This will be under my GP-9 at the top of the mast.
Thanks for the help.
Gary KC7EGF
N7LOH
radioactive since 1990
I even glow in the dark