Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introductions
I just wanted to introduce myself quickly to folks. I have been known to occasionally frequent the 145.13 repeater and I applied for membership in PRA at the last meeting.

My name is Jeremy McDermond and I was originally licensed as KB7AKH as a member of the Crescent Valley High Amateur Radio Club. I've been continuously licensed since that time (1986) and got my Extra class while I was living in Hawaii in 2000 or so.

I am interested in a number of things in ham radio. Firstly, as a computer systems and network engineer, I'm keenly interested in Software Defined Radio. I am involved in a project called openHPSDR (openhpsdr.org) that is engaged in the design and production of open source hardware and software SDR radios. I am the author of a package for both the iPad and the Mac to talk to these rigs and display pretty eye candy like panadapters and waterfall displays. I will be giving a talk on these programs during the Friday seminar at SeaPac and have spoken in the SDR Forum at Dayton before. I am also a board member of TAPR (http://www.tapr.org, the guys that brought you the TNC).

I am also involved in SOTA, Summits on the Air (http://www.sota.org.uk) and regularly hike up different hills/mountains in the area with my Buddipole and an Elecraft K2. I was operating 20m SSB while Chris^2 and the rest of the crew were working on the antenna on Marys Peak.

Lastly I also have an interest in D-STAR. I have a local experimental 440MHz D-STAR repeater at my office just north of the Corvallis airport. It's currently down awaiting some antenna work, but I'm hoping to have things up and going in a couple of weeks. It will be on 434.390+ when it is up and running.

In my personal life I've spent the past 15 years or so doing computer work. Most of this is on largish UNIX systems from Sun, HP, IBM and others. I can code in at least five different languages and have seen a whole lot in the computing realm. I am currently employed as a network engineer at Kattare Internet in Corvallis maintaining their routing and switching infrastructure for their web hosting provider operations.

I am also an attorney and a member of the Oregon State Bar Association. I'm trying to find lawyer employment but am still stuck doing computers. My practice area is in criminal law, but I also have done a bit of study on 47 CFR §97 (a.k.a. Part 97) and land use planning and permitting as it relates to amateur radio structures.

If there's anything I can help hams out with in the local area that's in my expertise, please feel free to let me know.
Jeremy,

Thanks for the post! It is always good to get your name and call out there where everyone can get to know you. Welcome to the forums!

Wow, you seem to have quite the computer-oriented background! That's a very impressive list of experience you have. I'm sure that people on the repeater and in the forums will be interested in your SDR experience and legal advice.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Hello Jeremy,
Thanks for the introducton and I remember you at the last meeting. I for one have an intrest in pushing the limits on what kind of tower I can put up in Corvallis. I have done some research and bought a book from ARRL all about how to get a tower on a city lot but feel a little intimidated. Maybe sometime you and I can brainstorm a little about stratagy.
I also am intrested in SDR and like the idea of using linux to run it. From what I understand there are some radios that support this.
Anyway, welcome and I look forward to talking to you

Sean - KF7NAY
Jeremy,

I am now really sorry I can't make it to SeaPac. I am a "I don't do Windows", at home anyway, and am very interested in Software Defined Radios. Not right away, but it is in my future. I sat directly to your right at the meeting. I have to admit I was one who needed to be educated what a "H6" call was. Not that I have any bias toward "6" calls. Some of my best friends have or had "6" calls.

Looking forward to getting know you better.
Ted - KW7RTM
All Around Nice Guy
Jeremy, I look forward to listening to you on Friday at SeaPac, Friday pass in hand!