Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home made water filter!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Ne5xGc9...=endscreen
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
Stacey,

Thanks! Being prepared is always something that people should keep in mind. Prepared for what? Whatever you may find yourself in that you want to be able to handle, that's what. People should PLAN to take care of themselves in an emergency and not PLAN on the government (Or anyone, for that matter) bailing them out. That's being irresponsible.

That being said... this guy gave me the "salesman vibe"... the glazed look in his eyes doesn't instill a lot of confidence in his knowledge of the product... but it's still all good advice.

If I might add a few things... make sure you have a container to get the dirty water into your filter bucket (Bucket #3 perhaps to dip from a body of water into the filter bucket). Check the top filter bucket for a good water seal BEFORE you need to use it. If you fill a bucket with dirty water and place it atop the clean bucket and the seal around the filter leaks any bad water into the clean water bucket - you're sunk. Even better - place the dirty water bucket to the side of the clean one and use a clean piece of food-grade plastic tubing from the water filter outlet to get the good water over to the clean bucket. Include a little "drip loop" along the length of tube so any dirty water leakage that runs down the outside of the tube drips off the tube to the ground and doesn't just run down the length of the tube into the clean water bucket, again dirtying your water. Finally, store the clean water bucket inside the dirty water bucket and then put the hole-less lid on it to seal it from any dirt or anything from getting into the clean water bucket.

Thanks again! Awesome idea! I was thinking of getting a water filter setup myself just the other day... and of replacing my water cans. I got some metal jerry cans that had a food grade lining and was meant to be used as a water can... and then the lining somehow got messed up and the last time I checked my water, all I had was cans of rusty water. Grrr!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Lol lame on the jerry cans! Yeah this video sparks ideas of improvement for me as well but the filter is the key ingredient. Im looking in to this idea for rain run off and others. KD7BUJ sent it to me! It was in the net tonight about water filtering..
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
Oh, I hadn't even considered the rain runoff idea! Excellent! "Free" water for 3/4 of the year in Oregon! If you connect enough down spouts from roofs to water barrels and filtered them through this, that'd be a lot of water. Good call!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.