Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have an interest in old radios?
Who do we have with an interest in vintage equipment?
I am into Hallicrafters equipment, but no boatanchors on the air yet. (They just have to make their way across the bench for the normal stuff.)

I am finding to my surprise that I even prefer the older transistor equipment to the latest equipment offerings. I am excited to go over a neglected TS-820 that I picked up at Rickreall and nurse it back to health.
I have an old yaesu 101 that is in like new condition. I have always liked the looks of old equipment, plus its fun to learn how it operates and show off.. I also like old vintage cb equipment too. I have an old browning eagle but can't find anyone who can align it. I agree it is exciting and fun to play with old vintage equipment no matter what it is as long as it is in clean condition.
Love the old tube stuff. Love they way they sound on the air and love the glow. I too have a FT-101, but its the ZD model. I have a few tube CB's but not enough HF stuff. I would like to pick up a Halicrafter or three just to play around with and maybe restore . I also have a few pieces of tube test gear which includes a Eico 667 tube tester. If you're gonna own tube gear you gotta have a tube tester (or two) right?
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Yaesu FT-101ZD - Yaesu FT-847 (HF, 2M, 6M, 70cm) - Kenwood TS-440S  -  Kenwood TS-940S - Kenwood TM-642A tribander (2m, 1.25m, 70cm). Kenwood TS-2000.
Mobiles: 3 Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders (2m/70cm) - Alinco DR-235 (1.25m).
HT's: Kenwood TH-F6A - Yaesu VX-7R.

I was looking a hybrid rig (FT-101 or TS-520) that was cheap/repairable when I found this TS-820. I have a few things left before I can put it on the air now. I use an Eico 666 (same circuit as 667) to test my older tubes and it's a good tester. For the newer tubes I use my dad's B&K simply because it is a little faster to setup. Also wouldn't be without my VTVM when working on this stuff. The DMM is nice, but has it's own limitations. I have an Eico signal generator, but thinking about moving up to something more stable and with the ability to sweep.
Real radios glow in the dark....man i love older radios. I have in the shack two complete collins s-lines, one collins kwm-2 transceiver, hammurland hq-180a receiver, johnson viking i am transmitter and a store room full of old cb gear looking for a new home. I do keep some of the newer gear around for 12 volt operations and all that stuff, but my first love is the old tube rigs. I love them all when they work right. Also got 5 or 6 tube testers and two or three can find a new home too. So ask, maybe i can make your dream come true.
There's nothing like bringing an old tuber back to life. Even more exciting is accidently touching a high voltage point inside the chassis (not!) because you forgot to kill all power or discharge the HV caps. :eek:
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Yaesu FT-101ZD - Yaesu FT-847 (HF, 2M, 6M, 70cm) - Kenwood TS-440S  -  Kenwood TS-940S - Kenwood TM-642A tribander (2m, 1.25m, 70cm). Kenwood TS-2000.

My long term goal right now is to have a Hallicrafters station operational with my SX-101 and HT-32 or HT-37. I have other various Hallicrafters receivers that I am excited to get operating too.
I will never forget the first time I got hit with B+.. and that was from a front panel!! Found a new respect for that and making sure everything has a good ground. B+ was shorted to the case and the radio was playing happily! It didn't scare me away from radios apparently.
W7RMG Wrote:There's nothing like bringing an old tuber back to life. Even more exciting is accidently touching a high voltage point inside the chassis (not!) because you forgot to kill all power or discharge the HV caps. :eek:

HA! Steve, I love your "Homebrew Afro" quip. Hilarious!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
I have a 101 also and would really love to get it on the air!! It's a Yaesu FT-101B. Receives fine but something in the transmit is burnt out. The tubes for the Tx have been removed since the Tx didn't work, but my understanding was that it was just a resistor somewhere that's burnt out and keeps blowing fuses, or the resistor itself keeps blowing for some other reason, or something like that. Therefor all the tubes were taken out of the "heater" cage/compartment, and a piece of tape was put over the "heater" switch as a reminder that it doesn't work. I got this from Sam, KF7CRF, in Cottage Grove. First he loaned it to me to listen to HF and later on told me I could just keep it. I would LOVE to get it transmitting again!! I just don't know enough about it or know anyone who's willing to help me with it so I can learn. I also don't know much about running this old gear, either, like "dipping the plate" and stuff like that. That's why I want to start working on my General upgrade. So I can start getting on HF and start learning that part of the hobby. Well, hopefully at some point I will get there!!!!:o
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
That's a pretty good deal there, Jeff. I love free stuff like that! Hopefully you can get it up and running again. The problem sounds minor.
Tuning those old rigs isn't too terribly hard once you get the hang of it. I have a copy of the manual you can download if you want:

[ATTACH]346[/ATTACH]

Don't forget, you can still work 10m (which has been open) from 28.3 to 28.5 USB with your current license privilages.

Anywho, I'm on my late lunch break and gotta get back to work! Good luck and have fun!
73's
Steve
W7RMG