Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HSMM / Broadband HamNet / Mesh Net
Start here:
Follow-up for more understanding:

[COLOR="gray"]I have been interested in getting one running for quite a while but after last night's meeting with that presentation on HSMM I have more motivation in getting one up and running soon. I'll probably have one running in Monmouth within the month, and I am going to get a mobile node set up in my car.

Be sure to check the version of WRT-54g routers before you buy! It turns out the one I have isn't compatible (version 6.0), so instead I'm going to buy a compatible router and use the version 6.0 one for wireless device connection to the mesh net (by directly linking it to the mesh node).

Anyways, this sort of stuff is very interesting and I hope we can gather interest in the area![/COLOR]
Evan K7FOS (Formerly KF7VFU)
Oh no! I feel bad now - you sold me 50% of your routers and 100% of the ones that work for BBHN. It is a v4 unit.

Uhm - you'll be happy to know that I've spent the day playing with it and now have it working as a node and have it advertising a built-in IRC server to the mesh?

I must admit, it went really smoothly. The initial directions for loading the firmware were a little thin (I felt like they left a lot of things unsaid that should have been explicitly stated instead of assuming the reader knew the answer), but they've been pretty good from that point on.

I'm very impressed with the number of pre-configured Linux packages they have available in their repository for download directly to the node. Very cool. I'm having fun - but I think that it'd be more fun if I had more than one to play with. Might have to dig around for another.

Thanks again!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
w0ulf Wrote:Uhm - you'll be happy to know that I've spent the day playing with it and now have it working as a node and have it advertising a built-in IRC server to the mesh?

That's so awesome! If we could get a large enough mesh net set up, I dream of a net hosted on mesh IRC some day.

Edit note: I have another WRT54g coming my way from KG7DAA and a couple more from another operator. Smile
I just got a portable node running in my bedroom here. Big Grin
It turns out that the Linksys routers draw about 0.4A at 12V, so a bit more than I expected. In the end I plan on having a dedicated isolated battery in the car for running various peripherals, so this'll hook in to that eventually.

Here's a picture:
[Image: m3zYxQa.jpg?1]

I'm still looking for some nice mobile 2.4Ghz antennas to use in the car. If anyone has recommendations please let me know.

( Edit: I posted it to the amateur radio sub-reddit and if you want to see the discussion, head over there: http://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/com...ode_setup/ )
Evan,

That's a clean looking setup - I like the jumper cables and inline meter. It looks pretty nice to me!

Today I got a Newegg add in my inbox for the WRT54GL NEW for only $49.99. Not TOO terribly bad for a new router (And cheaper than I've seen them before): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...124190-L0F
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
w0ulf Wrote:Today I got a Newegg add in my inbox for the WRT54GL NEW for only $49.99. Not TOO terribly bad for a new router (And cheaper than I've seen them before): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...124190-L0F
Looks like Amazon is offering it for about the same. For a brand new GL model that's a pretty nice deal, in my opinion. Smile

So yesterday evening I set up that incompatible router that I had as a normal wireless access point (WAP) and plugged it in hard-line to the mesh node. It's really cool being able to get on the mesh without having to plug in directly to the node. Big Grin

I also tested out how long it could last on a 7Ah SLA battery. With both the mesh node and the WAP being powered, it took about 7.5 hours before the battery couldn't support them anymore.

Here's how I'm modeling my mesh setup so far. I'm still missing one more router so I can set up the "k7fos-100-wifi" wireless access point. The Raspberry Pi connected to the mobile node will also be battery powered (once my DC-to-DC converter gets here so I can run it on 12-volts) and eventually will have some services available on it.

[Image: Zu5qUPV.png]
I raided Goodwill and now have three operational nodes. Next comes external high gain antennas and packaging them up for use in the field.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4
I just picked up 2 more routers. I now have 4 that I am planning to dedicate to HSMM.

How many of us have node running continuously? I would love to point my dish antenna and connect with someone else, but I am fairly certain that nobody in range is running HSMM.

Glad to have some equipment in the event that a need arises.
I have one that I keep running in Albany 24/7. It doesn't do much - but it is here! 7 dbi vertical antennas on it, on the second story of a two story house.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
I intend to have one of mine running in the parking lot art Rickreall on the 15th. Last Fall I was able to automatically mesh with one that Evan had in his car.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk