Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting started on 2m packet
I would like to get started operating on packet on 2 meters. I have a kenwood tr-7400a, which would be great for packet, and a netbook running ubuntu linux. What is my next step?
Rigs: Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DR-110T, Realistic HTX-100
Antenna: Stock 2m/440 rubber duck, 2m twin-lead J-pole
Get a TNC, cables and software to complete your package.

With such an old rig, you'll probably need to use the mic jack for the TNC connection. Unless it has a data port.

I recommend Kantronics KAM XL and the "Radio Operations Center for Kantronics" software.
Although, I'm not sure that software will work with linux. Perhaps a different O/S will give you more options.

Let us know what you do!

f, k2ncc
W7EET Rich has a big interest in linux digital mode. He will most surley be on the sportsmans net tonight. Wed.@ 7pm........

!!!!!Later Stacey!!!!!
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
I agree with Fank get a TNC another mic plug and wire it up. Though I use a yeasu ft-857d and have a sound card packet program its called AGWPE works well it can be a pain to get set up and I have to use vox for the switching..ect... I used to be fairly active on Packet but when the bug hit me agin I found it to be pretty much dead. in the area...The thing now is APRS which is ok and you can message through to other stations but I have not used it to much other than to work through the digipeater on the Space Station.
Any way there are lots of resources on the internet to help guide you...As always my email is open and will be glad to help as well as a lot of other hams out there. Good luck a keep us updated with your progress..
KC7NHT
Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
EPC member #14448
PRA Board Member
After a bit of research, it appears my best bet is the Tigertronics SignaLink USB, as my netbook doesn't have a mic-in plug. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Rigs: Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DR-110T, Realistic HTX-100
Antenna: Stock 2m/440 rubber duck, 2m twin-lead J-pole
There is a diffrence between the signal link and a TNC though the signal link is a good external sound card the TNC covers the the decoding and coding of your signal as well as switching and other functions having to do witn running a terminal program Via hardware if you go with the signal link you will have to have a packet control program as well as a terminal program that is what I do running sound card mode if i was not so lazy I would hook up the PK-232 and use it on a dedicated rig for packet then the only program I would be needing to fire up would be any number of terminal programs I have. I suggest Win pak if you are going to use a windows machine its a good fully functional terminal program and free. not sure what is out there for Linux.
KC7NHT
Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
EPC member #14448
PRA Board Member
Ubuntu can add a lot of Ham software if you enable the universal package. There are a number of packet programs as well as soundcard mode programs.
Also you can use a USB soundcard as a cheap alterntive as linux drivers are hard to find (if any) for USB devices regarding ham radio.