Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fender Mount Thoughts
Hey Group,

Okay, I have decided to not mount my antenna on the roof of my 2008 Tahoe. It gets parked in the garage A Lot. So, is a fender mount worth the effort for 2/70 use or stick with HT???

K7UND
Sent from my iPhone
Just a whip on fender!!

!!Later Stacey!!
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
I went ahead and ordered a stainless fender NMO mount from Pro.Fit. They manufacture vehicle specific mounts that are used in the commercial industry that are designed to correct the geometry for the different types of fenders etc. It also uses an existing bolt that is on the fender vs. those cheesy L brackets that you sheet metal screw on. Will be nice to get a radio finally installed into the Tahoe. Been having to charge the HT like crazy...
Hey Chris,

I think you'll be very happy with the fender mount - a bigger antenna makes a HUGE difference!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Thanks Vaughn. I agree. Even if it is somewhat more directional, it will perform much better than an HT and it will survive on the fender vs. the roof which my wife will use as a vehicle can opener. Smile