Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countdown Timer
If you've ever had the privilege of being a Net Control Operator, you probably got so busy with the net traffic that you may have forgotten to identify at the required ten minute intervals. Pretty easy to do especially if you don't quite have enough experience at running a net. Those ten minutes seem to fly by at times. I have heard several NCO's over the past few years and even recently forget to ID. I have to admit that I've been guilty a time or two also.

So, why not use some sort of a timer to help remind you to ID?
If you're not into searching for and/or buying one then check this out:

I found this simple countdown timer software online for FREE.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Countdown-...30413.html

You can set it up with however many alarms as you like, each with its own interval in hours, minutes and seconds. A floating window on your desktop will let you keep an eye on the minutes ticking down.

When the cycle ends, a pop-up on your desktop will appear as a reminder and a selectable audio file will play. The timer cycle can be set to either automatically restart or to completely stop requiring a manual restart. The audio files are all in MP3 format so you can add your own custom sounds if you like. This count down timer is also useful for everyday ragchewing and new hams that would like to hone their ID'ing skills. Even though this timer software wasn't really designed for ham radio use, what the hey, it does work. I have used this count down timer for when I run the Tuesday Night Swap Net and when we did AGON and boy, it sure is handy!

I'm not trying to encourage everyone to use the same timer software I use, I'm sure there others out there to be had, but so far, I kinda like this one the best. It's just the idea of making ham radio operation a little easier and a little more legal.

73, Steve W7RMG
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Kenwood TS-2000, Yaesu FTM-400, Alinco DR-235
Mobiles: 3 Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders in each rig, 1 Alinco DR-235
HT's: Kenwood TH-F6A, Yaesu VX-7R, Yaesu FT1XD.

Thanks for sharing, Steve. I'll might have to try this out next Tuesday. Smile
Evan K7FOS (Formerly KF7VFU)