Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coments and reveiws on HF mobiles and 2 meter/70cm ssb rigs
Uncle Sam has given me a little extra this year, so I'm doing researh on my next purchase in HF moblie and dual band SSB rigs.

Any comments??
Host and Co-Creator of A.G.O.N.
Dale, KL2BO
73!
My comments are as such: 1) OUCH, spendy for new all-mode or SSB gear! Ow ow ow! 2) You lucky dog. I'd love to get into 2m SSB. 3) You lucky dog. I'd love to be able to spend my tax return on toys I don't have yet. I think I'm just going to try and pay off the ones I already have a bit faster. Darn truck payment... 4) Let me know how it goes and what you find. All Icom has for new gear that does 2m SSB mobile (That I've found) is the IC-9100 and the IC-7000 - both of which are a grand or more. I'm not willing to pay that kinda cash for something like that when I've already got an IC-7410 that does evertything they do, except 2m and on up.

Oh yeah - I'll post something more intelligent when I get some sleep. Off to bed for me.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
I've never owned one of these but I've heard the Yaesu FT-857D is a pretty good little mobile rig for what you're looking for. It's all mode, HF, 6M, 2M and 440MHz. It's simlilar to the Icom IC-706 Mark IIG, but has a hotter receive. Plus I don't think the 706's are in production any more. Price? About $880 new ($860 at HRO if you order one before March 26th 2012). There's also the FT-817 which is pretty much the same thing as the 857 only it's a QRP rig.

I've got a FT-847 (all mode, HF, 6M, 2M, 70CM) that I bought used and that put a bit of a dent in my wallet (about nine hundred and some dollars later! :eekSmile.

Check out Yaesu:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Dis...Archived=0

I sure wish Unky Sam was that nice to me like he was to you!
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Yaesu FT-101ZD - Yaesu FT-847 (HF, 2M, 6M, 70cm) - Kenwood TS-440S  -  Kenwood TS-940S - Kenwood TM-642A tribander (2m, 1.25m, 70cm). Kenwood TS-2000.
Mobiles: 3 Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders (2m/70cm) - Alinco DR-235 (1.25m).
HT's: Kenwood TH-F6A - Yaesu VX-7R.

Yeah I agree with Steve! The 857 is a gteat package 100 watts small for mobile use as well! The 706 m2g is what I had, very easy to use but I think you would be more happy with the 857d! Plus you can change the LCD colors lots of features!
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
I own the Yeasu FT-857D great radio though it has its little quirks what rig doesnt If you would like to see it in action just let me know and we can get together Dale and Ill let you play around with it so you will have a better idea of what it will do and what it wont. If I w as to rate it after owing it for a couple of years I still would rate it at least a 9 out of 10 a 10 being my Idea of a perfect radio so it is darn near there Smile

Steve I am a little jelous I wish I had and 847 if it is close to every thing that I have read it is a great rig for satilite work.
KC7NHT
Cyrel

PODXS 070 member #1331
EPC member #14448
PRA Board Member
I also may be looking in the near or far future, but I'll definitely be looking for USED! I get a nice slap on the back from Uncle Sam too but I got a lot of bills and debts to catch up on, not to mention needing a car.

Just a little note on Uncle Sam's handout, it come's with a price! KIDS!!!!
As sweet as they are, they're just as rotten some times! (j/k) But it sure costs a lot to keep em!!(in the cage)....j/kBig Grin

It DOES make February(we call it Christmas) nice, though....doesn't it? They must have boosted the credits or something this year, too. This year was about $1800 more than usual.(Thanks Uncle Sam!!!!) Too bad most of it's already going to bills!Sad
Besides, like I said....it comes with a price!
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
kc7nht Wrote:Steve I am a little jelous I wish I had and 847 if it is close to every thing that I have read it is a great rig for satilite work.

Sorry Cryel! Unfortunatly, I haven't had a chance to try sat work yet but other than that I really like mine.
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Yaesu FT-101ZD - Yaesu FT-847 (HF, 2M, 6M, 70cm) - Kenwood TS-440S  -  Kenwood TS-940S - Kenwood TM-642A tribander (2m, 1.25m, 70cm). Kenwood TS-2000.
Mobiles: 3 Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders (2m/70cm) - Alinco DR-235 (1.25m).
HT's: Kenwood TH-F6A - Yaesu VX-7R.

I have several hf rigs and by far my 450D is the best out of all I had/have.The dsp in the front end,dollar for dollar is awesome,period.Rigs I bought new go back to the FT-757GXII,TS-440SAT,FT-ONE,TS-850 SAT,and now the 450D.The new 450 blows them all out of the water hands down no competition.As for an all band all mode.I think I want the IC-7000.Icom is good,very good and on the 7000 there are no optional filters to buy and install.It is a 'complete' radio,jmho.If I buy another brand and put in the optional filters,(which is what most of us did back then) you'll end up paying more.
-george
N7LOH
radioactive since 1990
I even glow in the dark
We bought an FT-857D for the Lebanon Hospital ARES group. I brought it home for a while, programmed it and basically fell in love with it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.509192,-122.853108
Well im looking at buying the IC 7000! Or the 857D not sure wich but im going up to hro in the next day or so! Any thoughts?

K7SGS "STACEY"
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!