Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aprs on garmin oregon
Von and I have been discusing this but I figured other people might be interested, von did you get data to flow yet to the tracker?

Chad Gibeaut, 5419905349, W7CHD
From the GPS to the tracker? YES! You can check APRS.FI for today - the results there are from the few minutes of testing I did in the shack with the Garmin hooked to the TinyTrak 4 (Instead of the external serial GPS puck). However, I didn't get any of the stations I heard to show up as waypoints on the Garmin yet.

Because I've bought a lot of network gear over the years, and HP switches always seem to come with serial cables, I have a whole box of them (I mean, a BIG box - like, hundreds) sitting around, so I just cut one in half and used it as a DE-9 serial cable pigtail. I had to stop and figure out the color-code for the pinout, but it was pretty easy to splice the serial pigtail to the Garmin USB to serial cable that came in the mail today. Before splicing them together, I tied the "Transmit Data" and "Receive Data" lines together on the pigtail and plugged it into a serial port on the PC and verified that everything I sent to that serial port was echo'd right back to the terminal.

To test the cable assembly before I hooked it to the TT4, I wired the serial pigtail up to Garmin's serial cable and turned the GPS on and verified that the NMEA strings from the GPS was appearing in the terminal emulator on the PC. I then would have tried outputting some strings from the PC to the GPS, but I really didn't want to write up a fake test NMEA string just to test it, heh.

I know this is a bit of a run-on, rambling mess - but it is late and I want to get to bed. I hope people read this and pick it apart so I can check it and fix it tomorrow. :^)

-Vaughn
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
So i sent this to you in a PM, but ill just keep it all here now. I know on the tracker3 that i have, there is a check box in the config program that tells the tracker to output waypoints, not sure if the TT4 has that option or if it is always outputting data
So i ordered two different RS232 converters, one is going to take awhile to get here, but its nice and small so i plan on using that for the "final" setup once i get everything working. That one is here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U5J...UTF8&psc=1

But i also ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D5T...UTF8&psc=1 And it will be here on Friday.

Level shifting is something i understand in theory, but have never had a reason to actually do, I have designed stuff in the past and was able to stay away from TTL level chips to avoid level shifting, but now i have a good excuse to play with it.
Vaughn, did the data cable come with a straight plug on the usb side? or is the the 90 degree connector?
The Garmin cable I bought had the nice 90 degree end on it, so you can still mount it portrait-style (Tall and skinny) in a mount and have the cable hang down from the back instead of straight out the back.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Ok good, hopefully mine will too

Chad Gibeaut, 5419905349, W7CHD
So i got out going to data to work as well, no luck on seing stations yet, you get to play with it any more Vaughn?
So i found some info today that says you need to put a resistor and a small cap inline with the speaker out line from the radio to the tracker, im going to try it tomorrow once Radio Shack opens
Howdy Chad,

So, I sat back down to look at this again. Figured I'd try to break this problem in half, since it seems like we're at the same point: GPS is outputting location information to the tracker, which spits it out to the radio just fine, but the GPS isn't displaying other heard APRS info as waypoints on the GPS.

So, I unplugged the GPS from the tracker and just plugged the tracker back into the good ol' serial port on the computer and opened a terminal emulator (What I wouldn't give for an old Wyse, IBM, or generic TT100 terminal right now...).

Sure enough, my tracker is hearing other stations on the radio and it is outputting serial data to my PC in the correct format, as expected.

$GPWPL,4430.64,N,12316.61,W,NH6Z-9*26
$PGRMW,NH6Z-9,000074,00AA,*22

I see Jeremy is running around right now and has his APRS tracker running, so I know everything up to this point is working. I just have to figure out if A) it is getting through the serial cable to the right place and in the correct format, and B) if the GPS is configured correctly to display the information on the screen.

Did you ever hear back from the guy who wrote the QST article? Also, how's that TTL-to-RS-232 converter working out for you?

I'm going to keep playing with the settings on my Oregon over here. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007