Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another 2m packet newbie
Hello all!

I have assembled a 2m packet station. Does anybody play with vhf/uhf packet much?
I have received beacons from several stations. Tried and connected to a station W7SLA-1, but didn't seem like anything too exciting was happening and no other users where connected at the time.

I am using an old AEA PK-232 TNC and a Motorola Maxtrac Radio.
I have no packet experience, but the equipment seems to work.
I also have a  radio that I could use for 70cm and with a fair amount of work could have one on 6m.
I am guessing 2m is going to have the most activity by far.

Any comments or info welcome.

Thanks,
Matt, KF7DVN

(11-01-2015, 07:38 PM)KF7DVN Wrote: Hello all!

I have assembled a 2m packet station. Does anybody play with vhf/uhf packet much?
I have received beacons from several stations. Tried and connected to a station W7SLA-1, but didn't seem like anything too exciting was happening and no other users where connected at the time.

I also have a  radio that I could use for 70cm and with a fair amount of work could have one on 6m.

Any comments or info welcome.

Thanks,
Matt, KF7DVN

I would touch basis with Vaughn W0ulf and talk to him.. He has a great set up for 2m and hf packet.  He could probably answer any of your questions...
Thanks,
Declan - KG7HTE
(11-01-2015, 07:38 PM)KF7DVN Wrote: I have assembled a 2m packet station. Does anybody play with vhf/uhf packet much?

Howdy!

I've been playing with 2m packet a bit and have had quite a bit of fun. I've found things are relatively quiet, as well. Most of my tinkering has been with APRS and AX.25. I'm using a SoundModem interface to my HT and the built-in TNC in my new Kenwood Mobile.

I'm out in Dallas, and would be interested in attempting some packet contacts sometime!

73s
Rob / K8AXE