Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARRL Club Affiliation
As requested last meeting, I did a little bit of research on ARRL Club Affiliation.

In short, it costs us nothing. All we have to do is maintain 51% of the club membership also being ARRL members. The resolution only requires us to "engage actively in the work of the ARRL."

In return, we get a few benefits. You can check them out here:

http://www.arrl.org/affiliated-club-benefits

There are some more notable ones. First, we can get a commission on ARRL memberships. We can retain $15 for each new ARRL member, and then $2 for each renewal. You cannot do your renewals online to make this happen, though. They have to be done and submitted through the club.

There is also liability insurance. It appears as though it's $200/yr. which gives us $2,000,000 in coverage per year. THis would cover anything that happens at various club activities such as field day, Marys Peak Day, club meetings or anything else that we do.

The ARRL also offers equipment insurance to clubs. This would mean that we could insure for fairly cheaply any equipment that the club owns such as future stations, band pass filters if we buy them, etc. This also costs extra, $1.40/yr. for each $100 of value we insure.

There are also various other benefits that you can check out at the link above.

I highly recommend that we affiliate our club and get their insurance. It's really cheap for what we get, and we're starting to get into some things that it would be in our best interest to have some manner of liability insurance. The only thing the ARRL requires of us is that 51% of *voting* members be ARRL members also. From the straw poll at the the last meeting this isn't a problem. If we ever don't meet that goal, the ARRL merely just suspends our affiliation until we meet the goal again.

I plan at the next meeting to move to approve the resolution of affiliation and to allocate $200 for the insurance policy. Please discuss here if you have any concerns of comments.
Jeremy,

Thank you for doing the research on this. I really appreciate the timely report so that the motion may be discussed before the vote. I like being able to do some research on items I'm voting on.

It'd be nice if we could work on getting a draft agenda for each meeting put out on the Internet (or out via email - I'm not picky on the method) a week or so before the meeting each month. Then everyone would know what is coming up at the next meeting, and people can do a little preparation ahead of time.

Thanks!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
I say its a no brainer! Great job Jeremy!! We will move this quick...Do we have time to get this in play by fielday?
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
I'm not 100% sure, but the sooner we get things rolling, the sooner we can put it in the hands of the ARRL. I already have a bunch of the paperwork filled out, and I need to get with Sean for the membership roster. That way if we get it approved at the next meeting, I can get it off the next day.
oh good.... I have been waiting to join ARRL....not the club can benefit from it. my membership lapsed a few years ago
N0VLR
I was just informed by the ARRL that there is zero chance that we will be able to complete this by Field Day. I'm investigating alternatives for insurance now.
Well crud.

Thanks for keeping up on it, Jeremy. It is greatly appreciated! We seem to be having a rash of "Too late to put that off in time for Field Day" this year. Considering the almost non-existent enthusiasm we had for Field Day at the last club meeting, I'm starting to wonder what's going on.

I'm going to have a Field Day (Unless I'm told I can't) one way or the other - even if it means I have to camp out in my yard, go camping somewhere, or go quietly crash Stacey's back 40!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
I've swapped some emails with the ARRL's insurance company (Hays Affinity) and it looks like they might be able to write us a policy without being affiliated. I've submitted an application on our behalf and hope to have a final answer in the next couple of days. If this falls through, I have some other leads on some single-event insurance.

I think we're still planning on having field day as scheduled. I know that Bill has the bandpass filters all purchased and ready to go for us.

Thanks to the Field Day committee for their hard work on the sticky issues.
Well Vaughn we could you and I, have a mini field day! We will get it figured out!

Later Stacey
Those who plan and prepare, endure the weather!!
I sent a check for the insurance today. We should have coverage by field day.