Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2M FM Simplex Contest....coming soon
This is an advance announcement for the 2M FM simplex contest, sponsored by Benton County Amateur Radio Emergency Service (BCARES). As soon as the details are posted to the BCARES website, I will re-post.

The contest will be on 3/2/13 from 7-10 PM. I hope you all can join this "contest for anyone"

Contact Paul, N0VLR at n0vlr@comcast.net for details

cheers,

Paul
Wow, this sounds like fun! Count me in - It is already on my calendar. :^)

Maybe I'll break out the truck tower and find a hill somewhere. Maybe I'll just find a hill and put a 10' piece of pipe up on the top of my truck... we'll see.

I'm looking forward to it! I'm not much of a contester (Really don't have a very competitive spirit most of the time), but I do enjoy local little events like this. Thanks for the heads-up, Paul!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
Hello Paul.

Has the frequency to be used been decided yet?
If guns cause crime,
matches cause arson.
Prevent forest fires,
register matches...
OK, the official rules have been posted on the http://www.bcares.org website - take a look there for the rules, log sheets, handy zipcode listings, etc....

and yes, the 8 simplex freq's are listed in the rules.

Hope you all can participate! it should be fun.....your ham friends will be there....so should you.

please feel free to pass the word around to the ham community.

Paul, N0VLR
FYI... I sent an updated contest details to the BCARES webmaster - there should only be 8 contest frequencies.

Paul
Paul,

Looks great! The Excel log file was a good thought. I also like the power multiplier to the score - it forces me to stop and think "Do I really want to run 100 watts into my gain antenna, or should I just keep it down and go for the multiplier".

Since there are no prizes... one has to balance "High score" against "Most QSOs" and "Best QSO to watt ratio". This is interesting and lets multiple people claim "First place". First place for most ZIP codes, most QSOs, most counties worked, most cities worked, "Worked All Counties", "Worked All Cities", etc. You can make the list as long (or short) as you want.

I'm hoping everyone can claim "Most fun in a long time". :^)
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
OK glad you like it. yes there are a lot of opportunities for bragging awards..... but we will nee some software to deal with miles between zipcodes and the other data. - perhaps something to think about for next year Smile
he he he....... I know where I'm going- in the snow cat......and what antenna im going to use and what repeater might be off the air during this time......
Club board member
Chris... you are both awesome and a jerk at the same time. Tongue I've been scouring maps the last few days in an attempt to find the best place I can for doing some hill-topping. My criteria have been 1) Vehicle-accessible, 2) Not private property that I am likely to get kicked off of, 3) High, with a good line of sight to the west Linn / east Benton county area (Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon). So far, I think that Washburn Heights is about the best I've come up with. I've excluded some others (Peterson Butte near Lebanon and Knox Butte near Albany) due to the whole private property thing. Knox also got cut because it would give good LOS to some directions, but not others (Because you can't really drive to the very top). Washburn Heights isn't as high as I'd like, and enough people visit the site that there is a LOT of broken glass floating around, and you get some creepy people visiting the site from time to time... but I don't have access to a Tucker to visit MP either, so it's currently at the top of my list.

Also, jacking the MP antenna is just FIENDISH. Quick, everyone drive to dead spots directly under the antenna in an attempt to foil TVL's plans! Big Grin
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
This sounds like fun might have to put up the beam and give it a try