Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
145.13 works better?
As of Saturday afternoon, we have installed a new high quality antenna on Marys Peak. We are asking for your input on what improvements you are seeing with your handheld, mobile or base station. Up until now, we have been using broken antennas all winter long.......

Please let us know about NEW and/or improved service. Tell us your location, radio, antenna, power and so on........
Receiving 145.13 at 2 bars on a Baofeng handheld with stock antenna in an apartment in Vancouver, WA.
Great work guys!
1watt from a hand held North Salem!!
Haven't really gone anywhere yet to really test. But did notice something here at home. Well a couple things. As I already said on the air, even though it's still kind of hard for me to get into it from inside the apartment on 145.130, it receives way better throughout the apartment. Actually thought it was on buck(444.825).

The other thing, just curious, is the take off/radiation angle on this new antenna different in any way???? I was standing in my driveway, 1 watt on 145.130, with the Wouxun, stock duck and was having trouble being heard. Always been able to get into it just fine from outside, 1 watt on the same handheld, with the busted antennas up there. 5 watts works OK, but 1 watt, they couldn't even hardly hear me. Chris(UND) and Stacey suggested maybe take off angle(not sure if they meant mine or repeater). So that's why I was curious.
Just as a reference, I can get into 145.290 with very minimal white noise, almost full quiet, with the same setup. Dan's done a lot of work on the receive and pre-amp up there but still......... that's over 70 miles away.

So that's why I was wondering about take off angle. Some times too close to a repeater can be worse than farther away, in some cases.

No big deal, I usually only ever use Buck or Coburg Ridge on the HT anyway, but just curious, interesting observation.

Otherwise.........WAY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like it's going to be an unbelievable improvement!!!!!
Great work, Guys!!!!!!!!!!

I'll test more when time permits when I leave the house and get out and about!
-Jeff  Cool
-----------------------
K7LND
EX: W7WIL
EX: KF7NXS
GMRS: WQMK940
Yes, there is a much higher take off angle now with an optional 3deg down tilt to compensate for earth curvature at 120miles out. The busted antennas only had about 10inches that was usable and that would have had over 20deg of down tilt as it was almost a 1/4 wave. Going across the valley is always easier then straight up and over mountains- Monroe is bad for both marys and prairie so best way is to shoot west for something on the East side of the valley.
Club board member
From Albany on 0.05 (Yes, 50 mW) watts with a 5/8 wave mag mount! Sounds great now, guys. Thanks!

I know I said it was 0.5 watts at the time, but I forgot I was on battery power and not the DC line power. The TH-F6A goes to 0.05 watts on "EL" power setting when on battery power! Also, the "In and out" you heard was when I drove under the I-5 overpass on Knox Butte near the airport / Linn Country Fairgrounds.

VERY NICE!
W0ULF 2011+
ex KF7RJU 2011-2011
ex KC7YNP 1997-2007
Rigs: Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Receiver and HX-10 Marauder Transmitter, IC-7410 Base HF w/AH-4, IC-2720 Mobile Dual Band, IC-V8000 Go-Bag 2m, IC-2820 base 2m/70cm (That goes to Field Day or goes in the other truck when I'm driving it), Kenwood TH-75A and Icom IC-92AD HTs.
I had the 513 repeater full scale on my VX-7R, full quieting while I was doing fence work at my lease property in S. Salem off Skyline Rd. Before the repeater was much weaker, almost half the signal strength. Also stronger at my house, it went from a S-3 to a S-5 on my FT-847 on a Diamond vertical, but still with some phase distortion only because my house is just to the north and in the shadow of the South Salem hills.

513 sounds great now, two thumbs up.

(Have both antennas been replaced or just one?)

(Never mind, just saw the new pics on the http://peakradioassociation.org/ site)
73's
Steve
W7RMG

Shack Rigs: Kenwood TS-2000, Yaesu FTM-400, Alinco DR-235
Mobiles: 3 Kenwood TM-V71A dual banders in each rig, 1 Alinco DR-235
HT's: Kenwood TH-F6A, Yaesu VX-7R, Yaesu FT1XD.

K7TVL Wrote:Yes, there is a much higher take off angle now with an optional 3deg down tilt to compensate..........

Ya, that's what I figured. So for around home, use Buck or Coburg Ridge and when further out, use Mary, on the HT. Gotcha!
I love all this stuff!! I love all the technology, methods, techniques, the linking, etc.!!!!
I wish it wasn't so hard(and so expensive) for new guys to put up a repeater.(I know all the reality of it, used up spectrum, cost, etc.)
So, I know it would probably never happen for me, but boy it sure is fun to play around with!!

Later!!!
Driving home fromthe valley this morning the receive signals were rock solid between Alsea and Waldport on highway 34. Chris was busy working out the kinks so I didn't bother with testing my transmi side, but when the work was completed I tested my signal from Waldport on 0.5 watts and was readable but with a bit of "white noise" in the background. 5.0 watts from the HT through a 5/8 wave magmount antenna was acceptable!

HUGE improvement for your travels to the coast.

Thanks Chris and everyone that participated in the antenna resurrection project!

KF7OGU
We had some AC 60 cycle noise yesterday and this morning...... found the problem pretty quick and everything is good to go....

Glad to hear Waldport is working well for low power stations! I will be testing, Florence, Reedsport, Winchester, North Bend, Coos Bay, Bandon, Sixes and Langlois on Tuesday.......
Club board member